Are you someone who enjoys consuming an alcoholic beverage every now and then?
Consuming alcoholic beverages is a well-established part of human culture. It has become a part of what many people do and is often used as a social facilitator. For those who are trying to achieve certain healthy fit goals or struggling to stay on track; remember, alcohol is the first fuel to be used therefore postponing the fat-burning process and contributing to greater fat storage.
Alcohol calories are often overlooked and many drinks can contain 300 or more calories. In a few hours you can consume a whole day’s worth of calories. Good news is with careful planning you can enjoy a few cocktails and consume less calories.
If you are going to have an alcoholic drink — be sure to research drink recipes before going out and have two options in mind beforehand. Wine is an acceptable addition as long as you do not over consume. Tonic water or real fruit juice make healthier options. Many people say anything diet or sugar free would be better than juice but I am a more natural so I avoid recommending sugar and fat free options.
Here are a few CONs to think about before consuming alcohol:
- Slows down protein synthesis; meaning it slows down testosterone and increases estrogen
- Weight Gain
- Getting off Track with your sleep, meals and workouts
Always always make sure if you are drinking you are careful, watch your drinks at all times and be sure to have a designator driver or a number to a taxi available.
Here are a few tips to help you recover immediately after drinking:
- Water by the bed since drinking dehydrates you need to hydrate those muscles
- Be sure to eat a high protein meal before going to bed
- Take ZMA and Glutamine before bed
- Eat a big breakfast the next morning high in protein and iron – alcohol diminishes your nutrients so you need to start your day off right
Two additional resources I found helpful:
Thank you so much for taking the time to read – comment below if you have any questions,